Enable . Educate . Empower
Philosophy and Approach
Tribal education is about seeding long term upliftment of the tribal community, starting with today's young generation.
Schooling for tribal children must be mindfully focused on equipping them with knowledge and skills for capacity development within their tribal community so as to achieve self-reliance. There is also a special focus to provide education to tribal girls, who traditionally have been ignored. As such, the approach is a holistic one, with emphasis on practical wisdom.
- Learning based on the NCERT academic curricula and syllabi on standard subjects.
- Arts and music to nurture creativity, imagination and expression of ideas.
- Outdoor sports and games to tone up physical fitness, build team spirit and have fun.
- Vocational skill training to impart lifeskills such as tailoring and craft making.
- Environmental conservation to raise eco-consciousness and promote organic farming.
- Meditation and yoga to attain inner calmness and enhance spiritual awareness.
- Daily cleaning of school premise by all students as morning routine to inculcate a sense of community responsibility and belongingness.
- Morning prayer and patriotic songs to give thanks and blessing.
- Self-organization for the preparation and consumption of tiffin and midday meals by the students, with the older ones taking care of the yonger ones.
- Community-based educational initiatives such as promoting good hygiene practices, eco-friendly habits, etc to villagers.
Overview of Tribal School Project
- 48% are girls.
- 90% school attendance.
- Below 15% dropout rate.
- Over 400 new enrolment every year.
- Teachers recruited from local villages.
- Teacher's Training Institute set up by Sep 2011.
- Two new High Schools set up in Ghatsila and Ranchi by 2012.
Tribal School Project runs 10 schools in Ghatsila block, 3 schools in Dumuria block, 3 schools in Ranchi block of Jharkhand state, and 2 schools in West Bengal.